20th May is Timor’s Independence Day. I got up at 7.45am that faithful day, getting ready to watch the parade. I have never been to NDP (National day parade) when I was in Singapore, I am so not going to miss this chance.
The walk from my house to the Palacio is 45mintues. The best mode of transport to the Palacio that day is foot as the roads are blocked. Though 45minutes walk under hot sun is inhuman, I thank God for the beautiful sceneries accompanying me as I walk on. As I walked along the beach behind my house, I was captured by the beauty of the nature. The sun, the clouds, the sea, the boats, the sand and the wind reminded me of my Maker’s greatness.
After 45minutes of persistence, I finally reach the Palacio. There were many people standing around the Palacio waiting for the parade to begin. I was really excited as I have never been to National parades. I only get to watch them on tv. As I walked down the road to get to a shade, I was greeted by 2 of my Timorese friends. They were up really early hoping to get a good view of the parade. I didn’t stop to join them as I really wanted to get away from people. I just came back from a 3 day pastor summit; I haven’t stop meeting people and speaking in Tetum since then so I try all I can to siam from talking to people.
Instead of usual hostile stares from teenagers, many smiled when they see me standing next to them hoping to get a good view. After a LONG wait, the host finally announced the arrival of the President Jose Ramos Horta. When he arrives, the national anthem was played on audio system and the National flag was raised. Well, it took me a while to realise that they ARE playing the national anthem. I have never heard the anthem before. Then the different uniform groups marched round the Palacio and a band played a piece. Though the band’s instruments are not finely tuned, they are not playing together and some didn’t get the note right, it is a breakthrough for them. Timor and her people are slowly getting out of the brand ‘barbarians’ and ‘violent nation’. They are desperate for peace and improvement. They are doing all they can to achieve that. I didn’t stay long for the parade as I promised myself char siew fried rice for breakfast.
At about 8pm, I heard loud noises. It sounded like gunshots. But when my friend and I went out to take a look, we shouted ‘WA!!!!!’ as we saw the beautiful fireworks in the sky. It s a nice pleasant gift for me as it has been a while since I saw fireworks and I have never thought I will see fireworks here. It’s one of the memorable days I have in Timor.
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment